Thursday, May 20, 2010

Homemade Almond or Cashew Flour

Alternative flours for gluten-free baking can be very expensive. Any time I see them on sale, or when I shop at the commissary on the Air Force Base, I pick up various mixes, because it's the only way to afford them. But, I have learned a couple of ways now to make my own nut flours, both of which are simple and use appliances that most people have in their kitchens.
The first way uses the leftover pulp from making Almond or Cashew milks. You start out by making your milk (I make Almond Milk using this recipe). Spread the pulp out on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and dehydrate in your oven, as low as it can go, until it is completely dry. Let it cool completely, then grind it in a coffee grinder to make a fine powder.
The other way to make nut flour just uses the coffee grinder. You can soak your almonds or cashews and them let them dry before grinding, or if you are in a hurry, just throw them into the grinder. Pulse the grinder until you have a fine powder. It will stick to the sides of the grinder, just loosen it up with a spoon (or your finger) and dump it into a bowl. I store my homemade nut flours in jars.
These flours might not work as well as purchased versions in some baking recipes, but I have used them to make raw cookies, pancakes, and chocolate chip cookies with success.

No comments:

Post a Comment